Little white marbles – four hundred of them – lost.
Out into the trees, into the ditch, under layers of pine needles and behind clumps of dirt. Like gold, they quickly find their way to the deepest recesses where I can barely see them. When I run out, it’s time to forage.
One day while I was wandering around looking for the balls, the act of concentrating seemed to put me into a trance. I became contemplative and wondered if the universe communicates to us through symbols and if so, could I learn something from rambling around looking for marbles?
What if each ball represented a truth? Then the following might apply:
- They are sometimes easier to find in the darkness rather than the light.
- The harder you look for them the more they seem to elude you.
- Sometimes they are right in front of you and you don’t see them.
- Sometimes you walk right over them only to spot them when looking from a different perspective.
- Some get buried in the dirt but they still remain visible if you look closely enough.
- They are all around you but you don’t always see them.
- They seem to appear magically in front of you with the right frame of mind.
- Just when you think you’ve found them all there are always more.
- Although they seem lost forever, they are there, somewhere. Or are they?
- Are they there when observed and gone when not?
- They are more visible with an open mind.
- Some travel farther than others.
- Picking them out of the pine needles can hurt.
- You can drive yourself crazy looking for them in the snow or you can be patient and wait till Spring when they will reveal themselves.
- Where the hell do the ones I never find go? Does some gopher have a living room full of them?
Do you think I’m crazy? 🙂